I’ve been working for hours already, actually, and realized I hadn’t publicly cheered the fact that I finished write-in at about four AM today. I got a few hours of sleep, then got up and got going.
Write-in was a massacre, but the surviving words are better, stronger, and occasionally funnier. I Darwined the damned book. Now, though, I estimate that I’m going to have to toss about 10,000 existing words. And that I’m going to be typing in about 20,000 brand-new words. And make heavy fixes on about 60% of the rest of the manuscript. And I have to do it between now and o’-dark-hundred on the morning of March 15th, which is my drop-dead date for getting it to Lisa and Robin.
The book is better, better, better. I fixed every one of the issues I found, and came up with new stuff that I love. This is the last step before another human being gets to actually read what I’ve done. This step I usually love. Let’s see how it goes.
You can follow the type-in progress on the SILVER DOOR TypeIn graph in the sidebar to your right. I’ll update as I finish each chapters. At the moment, there are 24. Not sure how many there will be after I’ve pulled everything apart and put it back together again.
Wish me luck.
By the way, I haven’t beta’d a novel in a long time, but I think I’m going to beta this one. As I get closer to finishing the book, I’ll post some sort of contest here, and send five winners a copy of the revised first draft for comments and questions.