I had to redo my schedule. I forgot about holidays, about taking time off — and I also forgot to figure weekends — and the fact that I don’t write on them — into my schedule.
To hit my deadline date, I would have ended up trying to hit 2500 words a day, and I’m not there yet.
The image below, with 2113 words due today, is what I saw when I opened up Scrivener this morning.
And again, that didn’t figure in taking weekends off, so that I would be working toward an ever-increasing daily wordcount to hit the existing deadline.
So first I looked at the deadline. It was too soon.
I went into Scrivener and changed the software so it no longer figured weekends as writing days. They’re not — they’re regeneration, relaxation, re-filling-the-well days.
Then I set the software to give me as close to 1250 words per day, and discovered that it would require me to reset my deadline to Feb. 18, 2021.
So I did that.
And then I got 1260 words today, in spite of the fact that I’d had a bunch of days of and a hard time getting started.
I’ve discovered that if I can hit my wordcount even when things aren’t going well, the wordcount is pretty close to right.
And I like what I got today. Which also helps.