Language brakes

Rolling along, close to wrapping up for the day, I hit a situation. No. A Situation.


Had this lovely scene going, and suddenly I realized that it could not, could not, take place in the language in which it was taking place. It would have been sloppy, it would have been cheating … and worst of all, it would have wrecked an absolutely awesome opportunity to mess with my characters’ minds.

Couldn’t pass it up. So I’m done with words for the day as I build the Sun Wizards’ language, vaguely hinted at in book one. In the current book, though I will not be using the language heavily, I do have to have it worked out. It’s critical to the plot.

And to messing with my characters’ minds.

Will post a Friday Snippet later. For now, I’m doodling on my Reductionary Alphabetization sheet and making funny noises at myself.

image_pdfDownload as PDFimage_printPrint Page

By Holly

Novelist, writing teacher, on a mission to reprint my out-of-print books and indie-publish my new ones.

Notify of

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
15 years ago

I would be sorry for the Situation, but I just finished creating a language using your clinic, and had so much fun that I can’t be sorry. I realize that it’s time consuming to make a full language, but it’s worth it! Before reading through the clinic and then creating a language, I never actually thought about how much of our culture is based on/reflected in the way we organize our words…

15 years ago

(giggle) At least it’s a positive detour, and not a derailment… I’d feel sorry for your characters, but I’ll enjoy their mishaps too much for that.

Would love your thoughts, please comment.x