Had a massive revelation this morning; my male protagonist and one of my secondary characters have to be compressed into one character. This was huge. It was the other answer to an ongoing pacing problem I’ve been sensing as I wrote.
And the difference it made when I worked on the outline again tonight was just incredible. Suddenly everybody has a purpose, every scene has multiple conflicts, and all sorts of layers have popped up because of the connections each of the two original characters had.
Writing was not huge wordcount-wise, but the book starts with seven young women dead in a building, and a man among the looky-loos who A) knows why they did what they did, and B) is pissed because there were only seven, not nine…and now he’s got to do damage control.
I’m pretty happy with what I got.