Adding up Talyn

I’ve been slicing Talyn into manageable bites — a 250,000 word novel requires considerable slicing, but I’ve managed to get the thing down to size. Here’s the breakdown.

209 words per page

250,000 words due
8592 words done
241408 words remaining

1200 pages total
10 pages per scene, 4 scenes per chapter

120 scenes
30 chapters
30 days set aside to revise completed manuscript
195 days (starting tomorrow) to write book

=========
Pages per day
=========

Seven days a week (195 days) 6 ppd
Six days a week (156 days) 8 ppd
Five days a week (130 days) 9.5 ppd

=========
Words per day
=========

Seven days a week (195 days) 1254 wpd
Six days a week (156 days) 1672 wpd
Five days a week (130 days) 1986 wpd

ACTUAL WRITING GOAL — 10 ppd, 2090 wpd

NOTE: Some padding has been worked into these numbers to give me a bit of invisible breathing room. I figured all counts as if none of the book were yet written.

image_pdfDownload as PDFimage_printPrint Page

About the author: Novelist, writing teacher, on a mission to reprint my out-of-print books and self-publish my new ones.

6 comments… add one
  • Jaye Patrick May 3, 2003 @ 1:43

    1200 pages??? OMG! It’s gonna be an epic! Yahoo! You go girl! Although all those figures and maths makes me shudder, I’m so looking forward to the final result.

  • Michael Wells aka HighNside May 1, 2003 @ 9:06

    Ok… that is impressive planning. I see why you seem to have all your stuff quite well together… You DO!

    best wishes!

  • Rob Apr 30, 2003 @ 16:30

    Dang! That’s a lot of scenes. And a lot of pages. Good luck, Holly.

    Have fun!

  • Jim Woosley Apr 30, 2003 @ 15:16

    This may (or may not) be relevant…but in dealing with multiple characters/multiple scenes, you sometimes also have to consider timeline and what any given character is doing between scenes.

    One extreme example: you can’t have a character, in, say Charlotte, then "next day" have the same character in, oh, Seattle without some consideration of how and why the moved. This is probably a mickey mouse observation 95% of the time; the other 5% of the time it may be the gaffe that loses your readers completely.

  • zette Apr 30, 2003 @ 14:30

    Lovely! I just adore seeing sets of numbers like that! Good luck and have fun!

  • sdurham Apr 30, 2003 @ 13:39

    Ah the kind of blog entries us inspiring writer types love to see! The nitty-gritty detail of how a book gets planned! I especially like the detail of pages per scene, and scenes per chapter. I hadn’t thought to plan things out that way…

    Thank you for the details, and look forward to the progress this book makes in your future blog entries!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.